Not all food plans for losing weight are created equal, so if you are looking to shed pounds, contemplate each of the popular plans carefully before choosing the one that best meets your needs. This guide desribes how to lose weight on popular diet programs such as Nutrisystem, South Beach Diet, Weight Watchers, Bistro MD, Keto and Mayo Clinic Plan.
Remember that a plan for losing weight is only one of the components of a successful weight loss program. You will also need to exercise, so be sure to check out iTrainer treadmills and their treadmill buyer’s guide for details on what to look for when buying a treadmill. You may also want to consider hiring a personal trainer who will help you design a specific exercise plan based on your preferences, schedule, and ability level. Remember that you need both cardiovascular and toning exercises to increase your fitness level.
If you need assistance finding a personal trainer, check out the iTrainer recommendations to find one in your area. These trainers located across the United States are committed to your weight loss success, and they can assist you no matter what your current level of fitness happens to be.
There are many different popular plans for losing weight. Looking carefully at the components of each one may assist you in choosing the plan that’s right for you. If you need further assistance on a particular plan, you can request custom support from iTrainer to assist you in finding out even more details about weight loss issues affecting your life.
Who Should Read This Guide on How to Lose Weight on Popular Diet Programs
Every weight loss program must include healthy food selections. This guide should be useful to anyone who wants to follow a healthy eating plan. Often, these plans present meals put together by a nutritionist for people with specific medical conditions. People who need to lose just a few pounds to fit into their favorite skinny jeans along with those who need to lose larger amounts of weight can all benefit from applying the information in this guide.
Step 1: Identify the Type of Popular Diet Program You Need
Before you begin any weight loss program, it’s important to consult your doctor about your nutritional needs. You might even want to have blood samples drawn to show any nutrients that your body is short on at the moment. Your doctor may suggest an ideal weight for you based on your body mass index. Having this information beforehand can help you choose the plan that will get you the results you’re hoping for.
All plans should include some basic components, chiefly nutrition, physical activity and a deeper understanding of weight management. Keeping these components in mind will assist you in selecting the plan that helps you lose weight safely and most effectively.
Step 2: Eat Enough and Frequently on the Diet Program
One mistake that people often make is that they do not eat enough food. This triggers the body to go into starvation mode. People who consume under 800 calories per day can put themselves into starvation mode, and the body starts to conserve energy, making weight loss more difficult. In fact, most people will be able to lose weight more effectively if they consume about 1,500 calories. Of course, burning calories on a treadmill or through another form of exercise is important.
One of the reasons that many people fail at losing weight is that they are constantly hungry, so they eat anything in sight. While there is no data to suggest that eating more meals speeds up your metabolic rate, eating more frequently may help you feel more satisfied. Therefore, you will not be tempted to grab an unhealthy snack. Studies suggest, however, that maintaining consistency in the number of meals that you eat each day may help you stick to a food plan.
Step 3: Understand the Different Types of Foods
When you start, it is vital to follow a well-rounded plan. Between 45 and 65 percent of your daily calories should consist of healthy carbohydrates as they fill you up while giving you the energy to keep working out throughout the day. Between 10 and 35 percent of your daily calories should come from protein because it helps ward off cravings, fuels fat burning and promotes muscle growth and repair. Finally, you should aim at consuming between 20 and 35 percent of your calories from healthy fats each day as fat helps your body get nutrients from food, keeps you full longer and aids in building muscle.
It is easy to miss key nutrients when you start trimming calories. In fact, research suggests that consuming more of some nutrients can help you lose weight faster.
• Arginine – Consume this amino acid pre-workout and your body can burn more carbohydrates and fats. Great sources include turkey, tri-tip roast, egg whites and chicken.
• Magnesium – You may have more energy to complete your exercise routine when you get enough magnesium. Good sources of magnesium include bananas, dried apricots, avocados, almonds, cashews, soy flour, tofu and brown rice.
• Potassium – Your body might recover from a workout faster when you get enough potassium. Getting enough of this nutrient may also help to reduce bloat. While bananas often get all the credit for providing potassium, molasses, radishes, potatoes and white beans have more of this nutrient.
• Iron – Your body requires iron to have energy for the treadmill or other forms of exercise as this nutrient is needed to carry oxygen to the cells and prevent you from feeling fatigued. Yet, up to 80 percent of people do not get enough iron in their diet. Foods high in iron include lamb, beef, goose and many ready-to-eat cereals.
• Calcium – Numerous studies show that consuming enough calcium can speed up weight loss. Research conducted on mice at The Nutrition Institute at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville found that increasing calcium intake could increase weight loss by approximately 34 percent. While dairy products are an obvious choice for getting calcium, other good choices include green leafy vegetables, salmon, sardines and almonds.
Step 4: Consider Foods You Enjoy
While you may not be able to enjoy some of your favorite foods as often, make a list of foods that you enjoy eating. Divide your list into the main food groups:
Step 5: Remember Hydration
Hydration is an important part of any weight loss plan. Water acts as an aid to metabolism and also an appetite suppressant. Researchers at the University of Washington found that drinking just 8 ounces of water suppressed hunger pangs over 98 percent of the time. Researchers also believe that water may help to increase energy levels so that workouts can be more vigorous. A study published in The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism indicated that water may boost metabolism by up to 30 percent. The body uses about 10 cups of water every day through exhalation, urination and perspiration. You should drink at least 16 more ounces each day when you are trying to lose weight.
Step 6: Choose the Right Food Plan
There are many commercially available food plans. Thinking about them and how they match your individual goals will allow you to find the one that fits your needs the best.
• How to Lose Weight Using Weight Watchers – If you choose this program, you will need to count points on many foods that you consume. However, no food is off limits. When eating on the Weight Watchers plan, there are over 200 foods that you do not need to count, though, including fruits, vegetables and lean proteins. The points are higher for foods that have high amounts of saturated fats and sugars while being lower for those with high levels of protein. You will decide how many points you get each day based on a consultation with a personal coach or during an online or in-person meeting depending on the plan that you choose. Most Weight Watchers participants are encouraged to eat five times each day. If you choose this plan, you also count fitness activities like walking on a treadmill.
• How to Lose Weight Using Keto – The Keto plan generally asks participants to eat foods consisting of between 60 and 75 percent fat, 15 to 30 percent protein and 5 to 10 percent carbohydrates. This puts the body in a state of ketosis where it is burning fat from the liver. This plan may help to lower blood sugar levels through the restriction of carbohydrates. There are many foods that people on the plan should avoid, including fruits like apples, bananas and oranges; grains like wheat, corn and rice; tubers like potatoes and yams; and legumes like peas, chickpeas and beans. Instead, participants are encouraged to eat meats, leafy greens, above-ground vegetables, high-fat dairy, nuts, seeds, avocados, low-glycemic-impact berries, sweeteners and fats. Participants are encouraged to weigh each food along with using keto test strips to make sure that their body stays in ketosis. While this plan insists that you can lose weight without exercising, those who choose to exercise may increase their carbohydrate intake slightly, allowing the body to have the energy it needs to perform vigorous physical activities.
• How to Lose Weight Using Bistro MD – If you choose Bistro MD’s plan, either five or seven days’ worth of meals are sent straight to your home. These meals are designed by a nutritionist. For the most part, the plan contains 20 to 25 percent fat, 30 to 35 percent carbohydrates and 40 to 50 percent protein daily. Participants can contact the company to have meals specially prepared based on their preferences or unique dietary needs like gluten allergies, post-menopause or diabetes. A special plan is also available for seniors. Those ordering these pre-made meals can be assured that their food is free of aspartame, trans fats, most preservatives, freeze-dried items and MSG as these ingredients can cause unwanted side effects. Different Bistro MD meals are available for men and women, with the meals for males having about 1,500 calories while those for females have about 1,200 calories.
• How to Lose Weight Using Nutrisystem – If you select Nutrisystem, the meals are shipped directly to the home. Most daily plans are balanced so that about 50 percent of the calories are from carbohydrates, 25 percent are from protein and 25 percent are from fat. Participants can purchase the 28-day plan or buy items a la carte. All carbs are low-glycemic while all proteins are lean. No artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners are used in any of the foods. Plans are created so that people eat six times a day, and participants learn to cook their own food with four flex meals each week. Nutrisystem offers a special program for men along with special plans for those with diabetes and individuals who are vegetarians. A welcome pack teaches diners how to eat in many restaurants. Nutrisystem encourages people to exercise 30 minutes each day, but they provide no firm guidance on the type of exercise. Therefore, people should look to an iTrainer personal fitness coach.
• How to Lose Weight Using South Beach Diet – The South Beach plan has a one-week fast-start program followed by a lengthy weight loss plan until the dieter reaches their ideal weight. This is followed by a maintenance plan. People get almost no carbohydrates during the first week, which may put the body into ketosis. During the weight loss segment of the program, the plan is based on 45 to 65 percent of calories coming from carbohydrates. During the maintenance part, 28 percent of the calories come from carbohydrates. The plan includes six frozen breakfasts, lunches and dinners each week, and participants cook one of each meal during the week following recipes provided by the South Beach Diet. This weight loss plan recommends 30 minutes of exercise every day during the weight loss portion and 60 minutes of exercise each day during the maintenance part. The company provides a handbook with some exercise guidance.
• How to Lose Weight Using Mayo Clinic Plan – The Mayo Clinic Plan starts out with two weeks focusing on 15 healthy habits. Instead of getting pre-made meals, dieters are furnished with a set of recipes to follow while food is purchased in a retail location. The Mayo Clinic Plan is focused on eating between 500 and 1,000 fewer calories than normal. Those following this plan are encouraged to use several trackers that allow them to see their progress over time. Dieters are encouraged to follow the Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight Pyramid by eating more foods from the bottom of the pyramid while eating less from the top. At the bottom of the pyramid are fruits and vegetables. In the middle are grains and meats while the top is sweets. A circle on the pyramid reminds dieters that they need to get between 30 and 60 minutes of exercise most days of the week.
Step 7: Understand What’s Included in Each Popular Diet Program
Before making your final decision on how to lose weight, make sure that you understand exactly what is included in the plan. For example, some programs include all the food while others expect you to buy the food. Even in plans that require you to purchase food from the company, some allow you a large amount of decision-making power while others expect you to eat the food on the plan. A few plans allow you to purchase the food one week at a time while many expect you to buy 28 or more days at once. Some plans include lots of support from a personal coach whereas others offer very little. With so many different choices, dieters need to read the plans they are interested in very carefully before spending their money. Ponder shipping methods so that you can get the food and written material as conveniently as possible. Keep in mind that different companies have different cancellation and refund policies.
Step 8: Consider Your Exercise Routine While on the Popular Diet Program
In addition to eating healthy, most weight loss food plans recommend you exercise. If you are new to exercising regularly, learning relevant information can be very difficult. Therefore, you may want to consider hiring an iTrainer for help with problems that are most relevant to your situation. You will be given up to five pages that contain the specific information that you want to know. That way, you can start exercising using good form and techniques as quickly as possible.
This guide on how to lose weight shows the importance of good nutrition and exercise. Choosing the right food plan can be time-consuming because of the many choices available. Losing weight is a combination of eating the right foods and getting enough exercise. Now that you’re armed with this information, you’re ready to pick the plan that is best for you. Before you know it, you will have reached your ideal weight.